Monday, March 7, 2011

Training with Joy!


In October 2009, I ran my first half- marathon in Long Beach, California.  It was a day I will never forget! I challenged my body beyond anything it had ever done before;giving birth seemed like a walk in the park compared to it! I remember being assigned my  race number and feeling  like an "official" athlete. What was I doing? I thought to myself, but off I ran and ran.  Crossing the finish line was the most exhilarating experience, and there was no greater joy than knowing I had just overcame my own limitations, fears and accomplished my goals!  Discipline had just become my friend-my best friend!
I learned a lot about myself and my body during the six months I trained for the race, which also paid off for me spiritually too.   I learned to overcome my flesh daily.  There were many days I had to run  long miles.   Sometimes, before I even hit the pavement to run, my body and mind were already screaming, NO WAY! On those days, I had to literally talk out loud and convince myself with positive affirmations to get myself moving.  By faith we have to move in a direction, sometimes just one step at a time until we reach our goals.   I would not allow my mind to convince my body otherwise.   It was a mind game and as long as I could train my mind, I could train my body.   It was like the two had to connect.   Believe me when the Word says that our literal words bring forth life or death, this also includes our thoughts.  We can defeat ourselves in our mind before we even begin our days.  How many of you can relate?   The days I spoke out loud positive things towards my training, the more I overcame my flesh and joy would come! The days I gave into my negative thoughts, my body would follow and I lost my joy. Training my mind was more important than training my body- this was key!  Trust me, running is more mental than physical.  Actually, that can be said about most things in life. Our minds can be a powerful tool.  We can train our minds to be joyful in all situations being able to overcome life. 
When we allow joy to rule our minds, we can move mountains in our lives.  I found joy in training my flesh! Maybe that is why the Apostle Paul encourages us in 2 Corinthians 10:5 to hold our thoughts captive to Christ-the joy giver! The power lies within our thinking.  Learning to tap into God’s truth can help discipline you in ways that can change you forever, bringing  you more joy than you could ever imagine. 
Today, I still use this training concept for my spiritual life and I remain in spiritual training. God ‘s Word tell us ,  “Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.” ( 1 Corinthians 9:25) Needless to say, we are running the race for Christ and He is the prize we are running after.  Our spiritual finish line is Heaven for all of eternity.  Every day I am challenged with life and I have to train my mind to choose joy daily. Some days, it is like running long miles where I feel like giving up or not wanting to run in the first place, but joy is worth going after- Christ is worth it!
  Without a strategic plan and discipline in training, we run aimlessly.   Train with purpose!  Hebrews 12:2 says, “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”  True joy comes for those who choose to train with the One who makes all things happen.  Are you willing to train and find that same joy today in your life?

2 comments:

  1. Oh I so know what you mean! If I don't start out my day with the right mindset, my body and mood follow along behind it.

    We all need those positive affirmations. Both from ourselves, but more importantly, from God. One of the changes I'm making is to start having my quiet times in the morning instead of before I go to bed. This way, I have those affirmations from God first thing, before my feet even hit the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree- we have more joy when we choose to follow Him first thing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.