Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hawaii or Bust!



The secret to finding peace is to bring your life into line with the will of God.

Sound too simple? It is and it isn’t. Let’s look at the definition of peace. Okay, technically there are about 10 other definitions of peace out there, but for the purpose of this blog post, this is the one we’re looking at.

Peace: noun -- freedom of the mind from annoyance, distraction, anxiety, an obsession, etc.; tranquillity; serenity

Now, doesn’t that just sound nice? I picture myself sitting in the middle of a secluded meadow—white daisies dancing in the wind. The sweet smell of sunshine wafting in on the breeze as white puffy clouds slide across the sky. Yeah—my peace can look pretty hokey.

Back in September 2010, I was far from at peace. One night, out of the blue, my husband calls (he was on TDY) to let me know that we’re moving. To Hawaii. At the end of the year.

Now, as people heard about this, I started hearing all the “Wow! You’re lucky!” and “What are you going to do with all that sunshine?” and “Aren’t you excited?”

Excited? Are you kidding me? I’m going to move to a tiny island a few thousand miles away, cut off from my family and friends. I was going to be several hours behind everyone, so it wasn’t even like I could just jump on the phone to chat whenever I wanted. I had goals. I had plans. And with this change, they weren’t likely to happen. What about church? I was finally getting involved. I’d just made friends with a wonderful group of like-minded women and I was LEAVING?

I fretted and fretted, and then fretted some more. My husband knew I was upset and told me that if I didn’t want to go, then he could try to apply for an extension of his current station. I just didn’t know what I wanted to do.

I began to look up everything I could find about the military and Hawaii. I worried and stressed and put off everything else I had planned. Later that night, I was obsessing while researching on the computer (THERE’S NO SONIC! Or Olive Garden, or Kohl’s), when something inside gave me a little nudge. I still hadn’t done my Bible study for the evening. I ignored it, pushing it aside in favor of more reasons to hate Hawaii.

A small voice continued to push me. I needed to do my Bible study. Finally, I gave in. I turned off the computer, pulled out my Bible and the study, and sat down on the couch. With a group of women from PWOC, I was working my way through a study on knowing the will of God. Thus far, it had been quite interesting, but I hadn’t exactly had any epiphanies.

That was about to change.

Off the top of my head, I can’t remember the exact subject of the study that day, but I do remember the Bible story associated with it. The majority of Genesis 22 is the story of God telling Abraham to sacrifice his son to Him. Abraham takes Issac up on a mountain with full intention of following through, but then God provides him with a ram instead.

I don’t know exactly why, but that story hit close to home. I felt that the Holy Spirit was telling me—this is God’s plan. I had to give up all that stuff that I wanted, that I worried about, and give it over to God. I had to follow His plan, and in turn, He would show me great things. If I was willing to make the sacrifice, God would provide.

I bowed my head and prayed. Immediately, a sense of peace washed over me. I was going to Hawaii. More than that, I was EXCITED to go to Hawaii. Gone was the worry, the anxiety…the obsession. In its place was a peace that only God could provide.

“…and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7

Can you name a time that you started out anxious and then felt that supernatural peace?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Ralene, and for the reminder that we can guard our hearts from the temptation of losing it when we face life's "suddenly's" or rather changes that we may not want at first. It brings me peace in knowing that God knows my end from my beggining and this He ALWAYS has my best interest at stake and His plans are to always prosper me and not harm me, but bring me hope and a future, BUT this can only happen when I choose to trust HIM and His Word and only then can that peace come!:) You're in the perfect place right now, not only in Hawaii, but in God's loving arms:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I;ve had a hard time having peace with the decision I've made to homeschool next year. Like you said, I know it will be a sacrifice and all of me doesn't necessarily want to do it for various reasons. However, I know it is what God is requiring of me for my children's best interest. I reluctantl agreed and have had thoughts of wanting to change my mind and send them to public school. I worry sometimes if I have what it takes. In other words, the focus is on ME! Instead, it needs me to be on God. After all He does tell us that He will supply all of our needs and then some. I don't know what will happen, but my heart as changed because my eyes,my fears, my worries, my pride is now focused on what God can and will do and that takes the pressure off of me. Peace is a wonderful thing to take hold of and so easily done, IF we choose it and walk in it:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.