Friday, January 21, 2011

It Happened at Walmart




It is my pleasure to introduce a new friend of mine. She is a wonderful inspiration and I know you all will just love her to pieces! Please welcome Victoria to EEE!

Victoria is a slave to Christ and a dork for the '80s. Whether homeschooling, housewifing, or hiding from the laundry heap, she’s grateful to be a continual work of progress in God’s hands. You can find her at her new site where she writes about Biblical Friendship each Friday. http://biblicalfriendship.com


I’ve never quite been able to reconcile the “me” inside with the version other people see. Sometimes shy, others outgoing, there’s just no telling what impression I might leave. When asked point blank, I finally put a name to the dichotomy—I am a closet extrovert.

Oh, I’d love to take you by the hand as we chat and laugh the time away, I’m just too chicken to chance looking like a fool and giving away too much of myself in the process. God is wooing me out of my closet and into the life He’s called me to live—one I’m perfectly content to look a bit foolish living if it makes Him a tiny bit more famous.

Having only just discovered the Lord’s movement to break down the barrier I’d been hiding behind, I wasn’t expecting the prompting He placed on my heart. I certainly wasn’t looking for something so profound, but there it was, and it happened at Walmart!

In fairness, I practically live at Walmart, so where else was it going to happen?

The place was swamped. I made my way toward the checkout lanes with a sigh as I equipped myself to take it all in stride. There ahead, a woman wrapped up her payment and I dashed toward the empty conveyor belt. Stopping to snag my sweetie an orange Fanta from the cooler, I thanked God for giving me some small way to tell my husband he is loved.

Once the cashier had finished with the customer ahead of me, she greeted me that same small greeting you’re sure everyone is trained to deliver though so few actually do. I extended the same courtesy she had shown me, and replied. She looked me square in the eye and thanked me for talking to her.

The way she said it said so much.

Then it happened.

That look-like-a-weirdo moment I’d always wished for and away all at one time—God told me to ask if I could pray for her. Right then. Right there. Ask her, this total stranger just trying to do her job, if I could pray for her.

The weirdest part? I didn’t even hesitate! I can’t say enough how not like me this was.

Please know that it is God alone that made me woman enough to “man up” to the task!

Naturally, the cashier was surprised by my question, but she didn’t skip a beat in answering. After simply saying, “Yes,” she paused for a moment as we stood looking at one another.

We both knew there was more to follow, though I don’t think either of us expected what she’d say next.

“Yes. My daughter just died two years ago; you can pray for me.”

There just aren’t words to fit the emotion in her eyes. All I could do was take her by both hands, look straight into her sweet face and let her know beyond all doubt that I would be praying for her.

On my way home, the Lord gave me such a vivid illustration to go along with the lesson He had began teaching me in that checkout lane. As one car after another slowed down in effort to look out for a gnarly, mangy old stray dog weaving his way in and out of traffic, I couldn’t help but wonder why we never slow down that way for the woman at the post office, the guy ahead of us in line at the bookstore, or even the cashier at Walmart.

Who knows how many stray people we zip past in our daily lives?

God does, that’s exactly why He prompts us to do the seemingly strangest things!

It’s a beautiful burden our Heavenly Father has placed on us, to care for one another!



A big thank you to Victoria for spending some time with us. To add to her fabulous-ness, she is giving away a year subscription to Hope for Women magazine. Check it out! Leave a comment below, and on Tuesday we will randomly draw a name.

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I just wrote a devotional yesterday about having caring and compassion for others. I enjoyed reading this and have experienced similar events in shopping. Blessings, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to invite you to follow my blog at http://barbarajrobinson.blogspot.com I have signed to follow this one! May it bless many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how you put that, "closet extrovert". It almost describes me perfectly! I've seen God work in similar ways in my life too; there have been times when I've stepped outside of my comfort zone, sometimes much to my own surprise. Thanks for the reminder to be looking out for and caring for others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing, Victoria! What is it about Walmart?..I love that place too and you will secretly find me walking down the aisles by myself with a cup of coffee from McD's just taking my sweet time. Who knew Walmart held so much value in my life?-lol And also be a place to minister! I am loving hearing these great insights from many women..this is what makes EEE a special place to me because it is not just about Ralene and I, but about the gift of God in each of the women He has purposed. We should celebrate and honor one another and as you so poetically said, encourage and take care of each other too!:) Thanks for supporting us at EEE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. B.J., we would love to follow your blog and gain insights from you as well! Thanks for supporting us here at EEE and because you were our 10th follower, you will be receiving a small giveaway from us. Please e-mail me at:kimchilya4@yahoo.com your personal information so we can get it out to you! Be blessed!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, VBJ! It must have taken a lot of guts to extend yourself that way, but you had a "God appointment" to keep. May we all keep our appointments... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we all feel pressure to witness or to pray, but the stress could be alleviated if we would only remember that God controls our divine appointments! We can be ready every day, but it will only be natural when we're actually CALLED in those specific moments the Lord first ordained. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, true Ana! Ana is teaching a book called, "Walk across the Room." It talks about an evangelical perspective that is easy and natural, etc...Thanks ladies for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I used to feel pressured to witness and felt like I was constantly failing. But more recently, I've begun to trust God more to bring the meetings/appointments He has, like you were saying. I discovered too that witnessing isn't nearly as scary as I thought it was. A lot of times, all that is needed is me being a friend and being real (allowing myself to talk about Christ and prayer and His impact on my life simply because it's who I am). It's kind of like a living witness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pink--I'm right there with you. I used to be afraid that I would offend people and turn them away from Christ if I talked about it too much. But God has shown me that He is in charge of those appointments--and if I'm following Him, I don't have to worry.

    Great post, V! I love the story (and the "closet extrovert" as well).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen- Pink! God uses us right where we are at and with whatever we have to offer! Some seasons it's only been a smile and a hug from me, other times it was a meal, etc...The point is that we allow ourselves the opportunity to be used! When we are willing, HE is able!:) Thanks for sharing everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful post. "Who knows how many stray people we zip past in our daily lives?" That is so true. I can't say I think about this all the time, but whenever I'm on the phone with a rude customer service representative or someone bumps into me without saying excuse me, instead of being rude back, I try to tell myself that maybe they're having a bad day or maybe they hate their jobs but have no other choice. It helps to remind me that we're all people just trying to get through life the best we can.

    Great to see you on the Mil Spouse WEekly Roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ladies, I am loving this conversation! This is why I share my heart--to reach out to someone else's! Be bold, sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey ladies,
    I really enjoyed this post. You are VERY correct. Anyone who knows me in the least knows that I am a very goal oriented and driven person. Which has it's positives but also it's negatives. I am often busy (which also has it's strengths and weaknesses-balance is important! As I have grown in my relationship with Christ he is teaching me more about slowing down and enjoying the life and freedom he died to give me. He is also teaching me about slowing down enough to notice other people. In this day and age we aren't used to slowing down or waiting for much of anything. We are the instant gratification generation with our instant coffee and super fast microwaves! Life in America is very fast paced especially in comparison to other cultures. When we look at Jesus' example we see that he always had time for others and to just sit and talk, teach and truly minister to others. So yes I am still a work in progress too...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh and I forgot. Let me introduce myself. Hi everyone :)
    My name is Amanda. I am married to a MIGHTY man of God whom I am madly in love with, his name is Jose. He served in the military as well. He did 6 years in the Marine Corp. Once a Marine, always a Marine holds very true in my household. We have been married almost 9 years now. We have 3 long haired chihuahuas, Duchess, Jasmine, and Anna (who is currently sick). I am a sucker for my puppies. They truly bring a lot of joy into my life. I am a music educator at the elementary school level. I am very passionate about music and music education. I love my job and I am thankful that I get to do what I love, that is truly a blessing! I am also the worship leader at my church. It has been one of the greatest joys in my life as well. I have learned much and I am very thankful and humble to be able to serve my Lord. I am a worship fanatic and leading worship is truly an awe inspiring experience. I am blessed to serve amongst mighty men and woman of God on the worship team! Nothing beats spending some time with him in his presence and worship is one of the ways that I enjoy spending time with my Father.
    As I mentioned before I am still a work in progress. I have much to learn and many areas to grow in. I look forward to this online journey with each of you. May we also be an encouragement to one another as we seek His face.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing with us , Amanda! Be sure and put a name to your face and become a Follower(see above)..We are blessed to have another Mighty Woman of God on board:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful and encouraging story. I'm so glad you heard the call and didn't hesitate!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome to all the women who are visiting for the first time! Wow...I am amazed at the group of women showing their support here on this post. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for your authenticity and sharing so much of yourself in this story. It is so true and hits me square between the eyes! My son has been in the hospital since he was born, he will turn 2 next month, and I see so many people and know they each have their own story to tell to people who will listen. I pray that God would give me His eyes and His ears and help me be the person to stop, even for a moment, and not just keep zipping by. Thank you so much. God Bless you and yours! Very Grateful, Misty Sanders

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.