Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ripple Effects...by Laryssa Toomer (Guest Blogger)


     I am privileged to run alongside this beautiful sister in Christ, Laryssa Toomer, on this journey ministering to women and leading them deeper into God’s healing Word.  Laryssa has always been a shining example of a Mighty and Bold woman of God to me.  She’s been one of my greatest encouragers in my walk with writing and pursuing my destiny in Christ.  She is an incredible friend, who keeps things real, simple and amazingly fun.  She is full of wisdom and insights beyond her years.  Laryssa is straight from the Giver of every good and perfect gift.  I introduce to you my friend, homeschool mother of three beautiful children, retired military wife, strong runner/triathlete , Christian Speaker and Free-Lance writer, Laryssa Toomer! 


RIPPLE EFFECTS



Small things count. They really do.

Too often we believe that we have to do something “major” in order to have a major impact. Especially as women, we’re constantly fed media messages that tell us “we’re every woman,” that we can do it all, and that our value and worth are tied to quantity. We attempt to do “big” things in the name of influence, often at the expense of small opportunities that have great impact. I’ve been guilty of these attempts in years past--even in the name of advancing the Kingdom of God--only to feel completely exhausted, overwhelmed, and disillusioned. But that’s when God taught me about the power of small acts and small steps--things that I often overlooked. A vivid picture of the ripple effect comes to mind.

Wikipedia explains the ripple effect as “a term used to describe a situation where, like the ever expanding ripples across water when an object is dropped into it, an effect from an initial state can be followed outwards incrementally.” I especially like this simple, online definition: when one event produces effects which spread and produce further effects, etc. I love this.

One event. Further effects. Extending.

Many times when I’m resting in between laps in the pool, I often tap on the water just so I can watch the ripple effect. I’m fascinated at how one small tap produces effects much further than where I tapped. It reminds me all over again that small things count and often impact in ways that I may not always see. I read a quote that says: “Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.”

I encourage you to think about the power of one, simple in the context of your daily activities (home, in the workplace, online, etc.). A smile. An extra hug. A simple “hello.” A phone call or text message. An “I love you.” One-minute prayers throughout the day (versus trying to have marathon sessions). Mulling over one, Bible verse. Practical acts such as greeting the Wal-Mart cashier by her first name. Drinking one less soda. Cleaning out one drawer. These are simple, do-able, and have ripple effects--some reaching further than others...and some that are immeasurable, reaching as far as future generations in our families and in others’.

What act can you do today that would ripple into your life, health, family, someone else’s life, etc.? Please carry on the list in the comments!


Thank you, Laryssa, for taking the time to share with us today your wisdom and insight.  Laryssa is giving away one of her books she is published in called, The Mommy Diaries.  Please leave a comment today and we will enter your name into a drawing for this weekend.
Laryssa often refers to herself a gal who’s been captured by God’s amazing grace, who glories in the Cross of Christ. This retired Army wife is a homeschooling mom loves to teach the Bible, write, and share life together with others (over coffee of course!). She enjoys cooking, participating in endurance sports, and foolishly jumping on the trampoline with her three children. Her greatest joy outside of God is spending time with her husband Jeff, who now serves in vocational ministry as a Site Pastor. Laryssa blogs about life “At Home” over at www.laryssaonline.com. Her speaking site is www.laryssatoomer.com.

12 comments:

  1. We all to often consider the small things as meaningless. I remember being so blessed as a mom of 4 small children when people would hold the door open in public. I remember almost crying when someone would go out of their way to run up and help hold a cart for me at the store, or pick up something I dropped. Now that my children are older, we all are sure to hold doors and help out not only mom's in need but the older generation as well. Speaking of the older generation, we can never spend enough time sending cards to, having children draw pictures for, or just visiting nursing homes and reminding the people there that they are treasured! Great topic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts Mandy and SO true about being helped as a mom of 4 too! Those extra hand are sure a blessing!It reminds me about how the message of Christ is so very simple but yet so powerful in the everyday! When we add more to it then what it should be, sometimes Jesus can get lost in the translation. Jesus was a real man who took His love and made it practical and real. I can only imagine what it was like to be in His presence, let alone be touched by him physically with a hug, smile or handshake! Just being ourselves in the everyday and allowing Jesus to use us is what impacts lives causing that ripple effect to extend outwards. Even yesterday, a friend of mine placed a small post it note in my classroom before I went to teach at PWOC telling me she was praying for me. It made me smile and was the added extra of encouragement I needed that day! Thanks for remind us of that , Laryssa! And thanks Mandy for sharing your thoughts too because it only enriched it the truth more:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy -- I got teary-eyed reading your comment. It made me flashback to all the deployments & all the small acts of kindness people did for me with the children (like opening doors, etc.). They have no idea how exhausted I was--mentally and physically, often on the verge of tears during our Wal-Mart visits. It was as if those kind deeds were small post-it notes straight from heaven, reminding me of God's amazing love.

    I used to often write off those "nudges" to call someone to simply say "hey" or to send a note. Now I pray continually for sensitive ears the hear what the Spirit is saying -- not just the boom-shacka-lacka! stuff, LOL. But all the little practical things & areas. God desires to fill the earth with His Glory, and obedience in the simple acts are critical to that. I love, love, LOVE the nursing home idea!

    Amen Kim!!! :) I am continually overwhelmed that we get to be inHis presence daily...following His lead...talking to Him (even when I'm whining). Simply Amazing. I'm SO glad Christianity revolves around a Person and not sets of rules. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Laryssa! I enjoyed reading your article. Sometimes we need that reminder that the little things count. Big things take time, planning, (sometimes money)--but small things take little effort and sometimes can have a bigger effect. Also, they come around a lot more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about how little things count with exercise too, like being able to get a 15 minute walk in verses hours in the gym or just taking advantage of time while waiting for my dinner to cook, I might do some leg squats right there. Or praying while standing in line at Walmart for friends, etc. However, my favorite and can't help saying this is while in the bathroom-I have a stack of books, magazines to read(hey with 4 kids that is my haven and safe refuge!-lol) but reading a quick devotion in the bathroom really is a small way to enrich my day which hopefully makes me shine brighter for others(I know TMI- but I keep it real!-lol) Anyways, ladies, I need to know who was our 20th follower that possibly joined today or late last night? I tried seeing your name but it won't allow me to and I wanted to bless you with a free gift. So e-mail me at : kimchilya4@yahoo.com, whoever you are!
    We are trying to give out one for every 10th new person, so pass the word on. Laryssa, I'm keeping your wisdom with me today:)
    Have a great day everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” Robert Brault

    Your post reminded about this quote that I keep on my nightstand. I have always been a simple girl with simple things. But ever since I found out in November that I have Leukemia the quote means more to me. I stop often to look at the world around me and what beautiful (yet small) things that God created. I am also reminded of the little things my kids do for me that one time I may not have even thought to say Thank you. I never leave a phone call or walk out of a room of the people that I love without telling them just how much I do love them and I also thank them for the little things...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephanie, I am SO amazed by your faith my sister! I've seen you take on this Leukemia like it is no-one's business and you are winning!You held firm and strong in the Lord! If anyone knows about appreciating the small things right now, you do! Thanks for the reminder and for taking the time to share with us today your life and your struggles. It makes me keep things in perspective! It is a privilege to have you join us!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ruth Blow said...
    IN A CHILDS EYE

    I wanted to share with all of you another story, On the first month of school starting, I wanted to be apart of my granddaughters (ALEXIS AGE 6) kindergarten class and production. Her daddy my son David and I went inside the school to wait for the day to start. Among all the busy and children and parents, I noticed a wall of students next to Alexis class. I could not help but notice a little blonde haired girl, that sat down and wanted to share her book with her fellow students. The other kids either ignored her or shunted her away, saying mean things like,your book is ugly and the pages are torn. They turned their backs to her. She put her head down and I seen she was crying. This sweet little girl reminded me of ME, she had not the best clothes to wear, or shoes. Looked as though she didn't brush her hair either and maybe not have a bath as well. I sat down next to her and said sweetheart show me your book, she said it wasn't the book she was wanting to share, it was the picture she drew in the book. It was a picture of her mommy and daddy and baby bother. She said her mommy was sick, and she was in the hospital. I almost started balling, she looked up at me and gave me the biggest smile. I said aw sweetie we will pray your mommy will get better soon ok? she said her daddy said mommy will not get better, well you can imagine what I did. Trying so hard to keep tears from falling, I said we will still pray for her. All of sudden the bell rings and the classes gathered together I went over to my granddaughter and reached down and gave her a hug and kiss, she hollered at me and said I love you grandma... and went her way... I looked around to see the little blonde girl, and across the hall she had the biggest smile and ran to me and gave me a hug and said will you be my grandma too. Of course I wanted to take her home. But we cannot always help everyone. But when I go to the school and I see her we both say hi and she calls me her grandma friend.
    The reason I wanted to share this is because, people in general always seem to judge people, before they know them. And in this case you could see the Ripple Effect in a negative way, these children was JUDGING her for what she looked like, wore and owned. The children didn't take the time to listen to her story,obviously she missed her mommy and wanted to show her picture she drew.
    Please take the time to listen sometimes, and don't jump to conclusions... Jesus did not wear a suite, nor designer shoes, he shares himself with all of us. Doesn't matter where what or who you are he LOVES every single one of us. He watches over Every single one of us. Seek him he is there always. And on my conclusion our little ones will be trained by what they see and here. Teach them the loving way to act.
    written by
    Ruth Blow
    January 27, 2011 5:40 PM

    ReplyDelete
  9. ruth Blow said...
    oh When I said the little girl reminded me of Me that is what I looked like as a little girl growing up in and out foster homes, and sometimes hand me downs. When my grandmother took us we were very poor. Sometimes wearing the same clothes 3 to 4 times a week. and torn shoes.
    January 27, 2011 5:45 PM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Ruth, your story touched my heart! I felt the love and compassion you had for this child and I was so grateful God allowed you to show a small amount of Him to her that day! How impactful you were to her, just by taking a small amount of your love and energy . You made a difference in the life of this precious child. It broke my heart to hear her mommy would not get better, I can only hope that God had another plan by you praying and asking on her behalf! I can only imagine the ripple effects will be eternal, hopefully one day she will remember the love of a stranger I want to cry just thinking about that. Jesus wants those moments everyday and offers them to us at Walmart, on the street and even in our homes with our own children, etc...Thanks for sharing your amazing heart with us, Ruth. And Thank God for the life you have been given in Christ!:)...:)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hearing your story, Ruth, reminds me of a stranger's love for me. It was because of a nun in the streets of Vietnam during the Vietnam war that I am here today. Her small thought of love and concern for me as a wandering orphaned toddler changed my life forever! She saw me begging on the streets for food at the age of around 18 months and asked the Sisters of the Good Shepard Charity to take me in, however, at the time, this orphanage only took infants and so I ended up being the oldest child there. The nuns took favor on me as they played with me daily and made it a point to find me a home- well, here I am today! The ripple effect of that one lady's compassion for me changed the course of my life, however, I know it was the Love of God in her that prompted her to move in love....Love never fails and it changes people's lives:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well Kim your story brings tears to my eyes, although I too remember having no food to eat and no home to live in, I feel in my heart that God put US You and I out here to spread a little compassion to those less fortunate. Because we both lived a ruff beginning. and we are the PROOF that God works through each of us, and we survived all this to come together and give all we can give!! wether in a small way, writing a blog, or holding a hand.I know that you are especially compassionate in word of God, I know that he lives in me, and we learn every day a little more and more.. I just the wish the whole WORLD could feel that way as well. And again thank you for these inspiring words from all that follow with us. And in our daily lives I KNOW that I have also a sister or sisters and brothers out there praying and caring...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.