Friday, March 25, 2011

The Joy of Prayer


 On Wednesday morning, I was awakened  with a frantic phone call from my sister-in-law in Georgia.  Between the loud ambulance siren in the background and people talking, I heard, “Kim, your brother has had a heart attack and they’ve had to shock him twice with the paddles, we’re on our way to the hospital and I will let you know more as soon as I can!”  Then, she hung up.   Put it this way, this is one time  I would’ve rather have been woken up by an  annoying  telemarketer.  However, this was reality and my brother’s life was in danger.  While my mind was still processing the information, my spirit cried out naturally for my Father in Heaven. JESUS! JESUS! JESUS!  This was my first and only thought as I desperately cried out for His mercy on my brother’s life. 
                Before I knew it, I was making phone calls, sending e-mails and Face- booking every prayer warrior I knew to pray .  Thank God for prayer!  I am blessed to have people across this great nation who will go to battle for me in a moment’s notice.  Priceless!  There is something to be said about the power of prayer.  Peace comes with praying God’s Word over a situation.  Life places us in situations where we find ourselves helpless, powerless and without words.  However, I know a God who is in control of all things and He’s been my source of strength for at least 10 years now.  He has never failed me and has always been faithful in my times of desperation.  This time was no different. I know His name and I know His game! He is Savior, Redeemer and Father!
                Within minutes, Facebook comments were being left on my status. People were praying! Heaven’s throne room was being filled with requests for my brother.  Immediately, I felt peace!  I knew that everything would be okay and God would act according to His perfect will.  I won’t lie to you, thoughts of my brother dying came to mind, but I quickly was able to overcome my fear and focus on God’s Word that says, Psalm 22:5 “They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed.”  God hears our prayers and wants to help us.   There is no greater joy to me than knowing that my Heavenly Father delights in helping me.  My brother needed help and help was on the way!  Even if he would’ve died, I still had joy and peace knowing that His salvation was secure in the Lord.  I don’t know how people make it through life without God and prayer.
                In the end, my brother lived!   God saved him after he went into cardiac arrest three times before ever getting to the hospital. He orchestrated the right EMT’S , timing and people to be around him that day!  Prayers were being heard and answered.  It fills with me joy knowing that most of these people didn’t know my brother, but that didn’t matter.  They put their spiritual armor on and went into battle for him anyways.  This is the power of God’s love!  It does not fail and it reaches beyond itself to every man and woman alike. 
 Prayer changes things.   The Word of God says, “God inhabits the praises of His people.”  I believe that as people prayed for my brother, they praised Him ahead of time, just as I did for His faithfulness to come through. 
                Today, my brother is alive.  He beat death because of the God of life!  He has another chance to live out his life with his two beautiful children and wife.  How can I not have joy about prayer?  What prayers do you need answered today? Pray without ceasing and know that without a shadow of a doubt that the answer is on it’s way!  Be filled with joy knowing that prayer works and God is faithful!  Have a joy filled weekend and thank you to those of you who prayed for my brother on Wednesday!

5 comments:

  1. It's true. I find that I often forget the power of prayer -- either that or take it for granted. "I can do anything through Christ who gives me strength." Thanks for this post; I need to remember to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouraging post! I'm SO happy to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies. God has a great way of reminding us the simple but yet powerful truths of His awesome power! Have a great weekend!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt totally bad the morning you were posting about it on Facebook. Being 5 hours behind you,, I didn't find out until after you had posted that he was ok. I wish I could have been prayiing more for your brother, but I still prayed for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ralene! However, God had it covered:) Any prayer before or after is always welcomed!Thanks for your support- love ya:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.