Monday, March 21, 2011

Everyday Joy!


I’m back!  It’s been a crazy two weeks and it felt like life suddenly took over and didn’t ask me permission to go along with it.  Have you ever felt like that?  My family was hit hard with sickness.  First my oldest son came down with Strept throat.   However, in my attempts not to get anyone else sick, I got sick.  I got the flu! Ugh!!  Then, my husband came down with a sinus infection and my two toddlers were hit with severe colds and fevers.  Of course, this all happened the week before Spring Break.  I will be honest with you, there were times that I had no joy in the midst of cleaning up vomit or changing germ filled sheets.   I somehow misplaced it while trying to gather enough strength to take care of my family while experiencing cold chills and fevers myself.  Joy decided to go on Spring Break without us!
            Eventually, we all got meds and life took on a whole new meaning with Tylenol and Amoxicillin in our bodies.  What can I say; I’ve come to love the pink stuff and the healing it brings to my sick babies.  Spring Break was finally upon us and although we were still in the healing mode, we decided to take it on as if there were no other plans.  At first, this was risky because I knew we all needed the rest, but because I am a stubborn gal, I chose to drive my family to San Antonio as scheduled.   Maybe it wasn’t one of my best ideas as my toddlers were still experiencing the occasional fever.  Half way to Texas, I had to repent to the Lord for my pride of needing my vacation plans to go forward and not think of what was best for my family.  I felt like a bad mom. 
            However, I lifted up my repentant prayer and asked God for the grace and mercy to come down and somehow save our Spring Break.  Of course, God is always faithful.  Within a day, everyone was regaining strength and joy back.   Ahh, yes- my toddlers were fighting again and my oldest son was pouting as usual about something!  I know this sounds like an odd statement, but I had missed the normal chaotic  routines of our lives and even those little habits from my kids that most days drove me into a tizzy.  But joy came when those moments began to return and my family’s health was being totally restored.  However, my joy should never have left in the first place, but I am the one who put it down.  
            It’s funny how we can lose our joy, or rather take advantage of what truly brings us joy. No, kids arguing don’t usually bring a smile to my face, but this time it did!   It made me appreciate my life and my kids all that much more.   There is no greater joy then life itself and no matter what that entails.  Some days the joy is just being alive and having my kids health, even if they are bickering and getting on my last nerve!  Joy comes when we choose to acknowledge it in the smallest forms.  When my family was sick this past week or so, I was taught a new joy that I tended to overlook or take advantage of and that was their health.  My kids are healthy most days, but experiencing my family strung out on fevers, cold chills and vomiting opened up my eyes.  I thought of parents who experience this kind of struggle daily whose children are in the hospital constantly.  It made me appreciate my children’s health and all of their crazy antics more.   Life is joy and we should celebrate it no matter what it brings.  More so, we should appreciate the One who gives it…God!
            What joys do you have in your life daily?  Are you missing out on joy because you choose to focus on your problems instead of your blessings that are being disguised by your attitude?    Psalm 19:8 says, “The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes.”  Take this week and open up your eyes to the joy that is before you and you will be surprised at how much sweeter life can be!  Have a great Monday!:)

2 comments:

  1. Great reminder post, Kimchi! Connor woke up super early this morning and I've been nothing but Mrs. Grumbles ever since. I think I left my joy back in my warm bed...I'll go pick it up now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your babies are getting so BIG. Thanks for posting pics!!
    Love ya
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.