Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Words Go Around and Around...


Have you ever experienced kind words spoken to you that simply impacted you in ways you never imagined?  I simply love the power behind words. Yesterday, I was given two compliments that made me smile.  It was like receiving  a hug from God, leaving me feeling  special all day!   While having a conversation with a woman, she says to me out of the blue, “How do you do your hair because I’ve always loved it?”  My response at first was, “Really?” I was shocked that she even noticed me, never mind my hair.  I thanked her and told her that she had just made my day because I’ve always felt like my hair needed Jesus to do a miracle on it.    So, off I went with pep in my step!
  Within the hour, another precious, older lady blessed me beyond measure with her words too.  She was visiting my bible study class with her daughter.  Afterward, she walked up to me and said, “You certainly are a gifted young lady and you blessed me today with your teaching!”  I simply wanted to cry because my heart was so touched.   Again, I was taken back with what I was hearing.    All I could say was, “Thank you and I receive that!”  I meant it; I received what she was saying to me because my prayer before class is that God would just allow me to glorify Him.   I haven’t always been able to accept compliments because I didn’t feel I deserved them.  Even now, it is still hard for me too, but I’ve learned that God loves me and He wants to pour down His love to me in ways that are real and meaningful.  I don’t know why He doubly blessed me yesterday, but it was better than any Hallmark card I've ever received.  I bet those ladies didn’t even know how much God used them, but I pray that God will shower them with His love too. 
                Proverbs 18:21 says, “The tongue has the power of life and death and those who love it will eat its fruit.”  Yesterday, I got more than my fill of great fruit!  I simply loved those compliments and little did I know how much those kind words touched me.  You never know how your words can affect someone and I am so grateful for the reminder.  

              When was the last time you thought about the words you speak?   Take an opportunity today to empower someone with love and encouragement.  Sometimes those words can be as few as a hello, calling someone by their name, or simply acknowledging something special about another person;  whatever the case, never underestimate the power of a compliment.  Today, be loved and love those around you because this is what makes Christ go around!

2 comments:

  1. A fantastic challenge, Kim! Words are more powerful than any double-edged sword, and aint' that the truth! The thing I'm struggling with lately is how I speak to my kids. Life has been stressful lately, as you well know, and I find myself raising my voice and being sharp with them when I don't mean to be. I can just see their reaction and it breaks my heart. Today, I will try to rein in my own stress and love on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share our struggle too. I always remember the verse that says, "What you do to the least of my brothers, you do to me." Yikes, that includes the kiddos!! Be patient with yourself because right now you are in a stressful situation with moving and hopefully the patience you give yourself will wear off on the kids-lol!!! Go have a lay on the beach and I am sure that will cure your mouth-lol-thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.