Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Love Begins at Home


"Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action." Mother Teresa

"The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home." Confucius


Sometimes, when I take a step back to look at the world, my heart aches. I can see the absence of love and the toll that it has on people in their daily lives. It’s frustrating and creates a feeling of helplessness within me. So many people…and how many of them really know love?

Helplessness is inhibiting in and of itself. It causes many people to freeze. They look at the world and say, “But I am only one person.” Yet, there are so many people throughout history that instigated major change in the world, and they were only one person. Moses, Abraham, Paul, Peter—and to move outside the Bible, Martin Luther King Jr., Ghandi, Rosa Parks, George Washington, the list goes on.

One of the key things to remember about making a difference is to start small. There’s a saying, “Be the change you want to see in the world.” I think that what this world lacks most is selfless love. So, what can I do? Exemplify that selfless love.

At the moment, I am not in a position financially, mentally, or even physically to take on some big, world-changing battle for selfless love. However, I am in a position to start small.

Love begins at home.

If I love my family, and in turn treat them with the respect they deserve, they will learn to love and show it to others. How do we show love? “Love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matt 22:39) The things we want for ourselves, we give to others. Time spent, opinions shared, listening ears, working together, being examples, showing kindness…basically just being there, sharing life.

So, don’t look further than you have to. There’s plenty to do right at home. And don’t think that it doesn’t make a difference. Like the ripples in the pond that Kimchi talked about last month, we don’t always see the far-stretching effects of the little things we do today.

2 comments:

  1. This is SO true my sister! If people would get back to the basics of how important family and creating a loving peaceful home then I think we would solve a lot of issues in society but because we are such a broken people, people tend to overlook the importance of such matters. I am so grateful the loving home I was raised in and for the one I am trying to create for my kids. Although it is far from perfect, God's love perfects it even in those times where I lack:) Thanks for the reminder and your family is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good reminder. If we're wondering how we can serve or really touch anyone, then maybe we need to get down on our knees and ask God to open our eyes to the needs right where we are (like in the home). May not be glamorous or fun, but it's where the real heroes and heroines serve. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.