Monday, April 11, 2011

Keeping Perspective


We've all had someone tell us, "It could be worse." When we're feeling down and out, that's the last thing that we want to hear. We want our pain to be important enough to acknowledge. We want time to sit and stew and vent, or whatever else we need. The sad truth is, most of the time--it could be worse.

This past weekend, a writing friend of mine had to give her daughter into God's hands. Her daughter is only 9 months old and she had a heart transplant Saturday night. Praise the Lord that she is doing fine. You can check out her journey at One Woman's Dream.

I have another friend whose daughter has been really ill for the past 2-3 weeks. She's only three. The doctor's don't know what's wrong, and my friend has to watch her daughter be poked and prodded, knowing there isn't anything she can do for her.

I have yet another friend who, like me, just moved to Hawaii. Only, she has a 4-yr-old daughter and is pregnant. Her husband deployed overseas this weekend.

These are just a few people I can look out on and know that, yeah, my life could be so much worse.

We live narrrow-viewed lives. Our perspective is skewed because we focus on ourselves. Little things, like running late or a child making a mess, can essentially ruin our mood, or even our day. We let petty things get under our skin and take away our peace.

Life is so much more than the everyday nuances. We need to remember to thank God for each little blessing, big or small. And we need to remember to thank Him for the bad as well because, well, it could be worse. We could not have Him at all.

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine life with God? Where would I be...like you said, much worse is an understatement, but I am grateful to have my faith and filled with peace that God has my best interest at heart, no matter what happens! Thanks for the reminder..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you meant life "without" God. hehehe... Yes, we are blessed to let our life rests in the hands of the One who knows all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful reminder that we are blessed. Sometimes, it does get hard to not feel sorry for ourselves, but it certainly helps to focus on the blessings that God has given us. Last November, I chose one thing that I was thankful for each day. At the end of the month, I looked at my list and realized that I am so blessed. When I am feeling down about my situation, I like to look at that list and refocus on what God has given me. I am SO blessed! Thank you, God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes,,,,without!-lol...:P..you see what I mean, I'd be even more out of it if I didn't have God...can you imagine my mistakes then!-lol:P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.