Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Peace in PJs


Our lives are hectics. If you've been over to my blog, Faith, Hope, and Suspense, you know we've been discussing schedules and creating peace that way. However, as the title suggests, I'm not here to talk about schedules. In fact, quite the opposite.

Sometimes, there's peace in PJs. That's right. Every now and then we need a PJ day--like I did this morning. I haven't been sleeping well, and last night my son filled his diaper and it soaked his outfit, the bed, and his blanket. After being changed he refused to go back to sleep until we finally gave him a bottle. Total time up? A little over an hour.

I woke up this morning to Mother Nature's visit, and felt awful. Tired, crampy, cranky...and I just wasn't having it. So, I declared today a PJ day. That's right. It's one in the afternoon here, and I'm still wearing my PJs! I spent the morning watching TV and reading books with the kids. I'm closing my eyes to the laundry and the dishes, and instead opening my arms for extra snuggles under the blanket on the couch. Here in a bit, we're putting in a movie and hunkering down with some popcorn.

While I don't have any Bible verses to back up this call for rest, I will say this. I have had health issues pretty much since the day I was born, and one thing that I learned long ago is that I am useless to God or anyone else if I am not ready to go. I can't be ready to go if my health is lacking. If I'm overly tired or stressed, I can't adequately do my job.

So, every now and then, I believe it's okay to have a "sick day" before you actually get sick. Rest and refreshment is sometimes needed on days other than Sunday, agreed?

Of course, you can also go the opposite direction. Don't think that I'm saying that for every day you don't feel like getting up and going to work, you should declare a PJ day. If that was so, we'd be living in our PJs more often than not!

A couple of tips and tricks for PJ days:

1. Know your limits! If you're reaching your breaking point, either because of lack of rest or too much stress, cut back. If you need a day to catch up, take it.

2. Don't go overboard. Honestly, if you lay around all day and do absolutely nothing, you'll likely feel worse than you did before. Instead, use the day to take it slow. Instead of rushing to be dressed to the nines before nine...stay in your PJs. But still take a minute to brush your teeth. :) In the same strand of thinking, let the dishes go for today, but also, use paper plates and plastic silverware (if you have them) to avoid creating more of a mess than necessary.

3. Take advantage of the day off to focus on things you don't normally have time for. Like I mentioned earlier, the kids and I have enjoyed extra time together today with sweet treats and snuggles. We sang songs, told stories, and indulged in some extra TV shows. When the kids go down from rest time, I plan to take a nap as well! Maybe I'll read a little too. I don't get to do that as much as I'd like these days.

Sweet, simple, and enjoyable--that's what PJ days are in this house. They help to restore the soul and give me the extra energy I need at this moment. There are some months where I have a PJ day almost every week, there are some months where I don't have any. I just have to know my limits to get the most out of PJ day.

Do you have PJ days? What do you use them for?

1 comment:

  1. Ha!!! LOVE it!! You are so silly,girl-- but great blog!:))) I love PJ days and find them to be peaceful and the perfect excuse to slooow down. Thanks for the reminder:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.