Friday, February 17, 2012

The Turtle on the Fence


                        When Ralene and I named our blog, Encourage. Empower. Extend, we wanted it to be an extension of the truths we held importantly in our own lives.  As women of faith, we are called to put our faith into action daily.  Faith without works is dead, and we can’t become the women God calls us to be.  Today, let's  look at what it means to extend.  
At first when I thought of the word extend, I chuckled to myself as I recalled attending some Yoga and Pilates classes where I had to stretch my body into some funky positions. Trust me; it was not a pretty sight!  I was definitely stretching myself past my normal capabilities.  It’s good to challenge ourselves every once in awhile and extend our minds, bodies and spirits into new places that God requires us to go.  It’s part of the process of maturity and God loves opportunities to also extend His grace and power to us so that we can do things we never dreamed of before. 
Another way we can extend ourselves is helping others.  I’ve always loved the verse from Deuteronomy 5:15,  “Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm.”  The word outstretch is another word for extend.  The Greek word for extend is  Didomi,  which means to give something of one's own accord,  to give for advantage, to bestow a gift, supply, furnish, stretch, expand, deliver, to reach out, or enlarge.  It makes me smile when I think of God reaching down from the Heaven with an extended arm to help me.
             So how can we extend ourselves to others in a world that desperately needs it?  We live in times where women everywhere need help.  The world demands a lot from us today.  We are expected to hold down full time jobs while being a loving, caring, perfect wife and mother, who is also the ideal example of health and beauty too.  Oh, and don’t forget to put a smile on your face as well!  Just typing those demands makes me tired and my mind spin, never mind doing it!  However, if it wasn’t for the awesome women that God placed into my life that extended themselves to me in the ways of friendship, time, love, encouragement, knowledge, grace, hope and vision, I may not be the woman I am today. 
             Alex Haley, the author of Roots, keeps a picture of a turtle sitting on top of a fence in his office.  He was reminded daily that the turtle didn’t get up there on his own, but rather someone helped him.  We too need to keep this truth before us that helping others is one of the noblest occupations we could ever do as a human being.  In the end, it is not about us but rather about extending ourselves to others who need it. 
            This is the same vision we have for Encourage. Empower. Extend.  We want to be an extension of God’s love and help to those women around us daily.  We all have something to give that God desires us to use.  In what ways are you like that turtle on the fence?  How can you begin to extend yourself today?  Be encouraged with Proverbs 31:29 that says, "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."  Now go put some turtles on the fence! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.