Saturday, February 18, 2012

Let Your Words Run!



The other day a friend of mine left this status on her facebook and I was humbled by her words. It read:
“I was running this morning, when out of nowhere I heard a very loud "Woo Hoo!! Go Kristen!! (or something like that) from out of a car window. Now THAT is encouragement at the exact time that I needed it. Thank you, Kimchi Lya McMahon Blow! I'll pay it forward - women encouraging other women and not tearing each other down. We need more of that! :)”

First of all, I didn’t think she knew it was me that was yelling out  the window at her.  I figured she thought it was some crazy women on post!  Secondly, it made me aware of the power of my words.  I was humbled… Immediately,  I thanked  God for allowing me to be used that day.  She must have caught me on a good day because I will be the FIRST to tell you, I’m not always so encouraging.  just ask my kids and hubby-just saying!  I must've had two cups of coffee that day and some great time with God!   Thirdly,  it inspired and encouraged me to get out there more and give out life giving words!:D

As my friend shared her story on facebok, it reminded me of a similar experience  I've had while running in a half marathon a couple of years ago.  I was at mile 10 and out of nowhere, a stranger screamed out, “Mother of Four (this was the sign I was wearing on my t-shirt at the time), you’re doing awesome—keep going!”  Those words were exactly what I needed to hear at that moment because I was feeling the pain! God knew what I need in that moment. It was like Jesus personally cheering me on.  That man had no clue of how he helped me get past my mental wall that day. May God bless him even now as I recall the story! Isn't that crazy that it's been almost 2 years and that stranger's life giving words still give me life! LOVE IT!!   More importantly, we must be willing to let God use us to  deliver His love and encouragement to those around us.  There are a lot of people around your sphere of influence who need to hear some life giving words from you today!

My friend stated in her  Facebook message above that she loved that a woman was not tearing her down but rather building her up. It made me sad that she has ever had to deal with that, but  I could so relate.   So many times, I see this kind of thing happening in the world we live in, especially among women.  Why?   Jealousy is a spirit that runs rampant among us.  Why can’t we celebrate the differences,  the victories and  the talents in one another? Why must we feel we have to  compare ourselves and bash one another to make ourselves feel lifted up? I  simply don’t get it.  Nor do I want to get it because it’s ugly.  I remember a time when I was like that.  I’m not proud of it, but I’m grateful that God's love and grace healed me.  His Truth has allowed me to see that my worth is not measured in what I am, who I am, what I do or much less what others think of me, but rather by His truth.  It NEVER changes.

 I’m just grateful that most of my friends and acquaintances  are women who choose life for themselves and joyfully give it out to those around them.  You know those kind of women who willingly and sincerely cheer you on.  This is who I want to be to others and for God.  This is my heart's desire to encourage people, but I can't do this without receiving God's love first.  Only then, can I give it out abundantly to others!  My true friends celebrate with me and I try and do the same with them.  In fact, a lot of the ladies in my life are an inspiration to me, just like my friend above!  I was so proud to see her being the strong women God was calling her to be, an example of health and vitality to me. Seeing her running made me want to run, too.  These are the kinds of women I need around me.  Life is far too difficult enough to have friends as enemies!

In the end, words are powerful!  Proverbs 18:21 says, “The tongue has the power of life and death and those who love it will eat its fruit.” When was the last time you thought about the words you speak?   Take an opportunity today to empower someone with love and encouragement.  Sometimes those words can be as few as a hello, calling someone by their name, taking time to give a sincere compliment, or simply acknowledging something special about another person that you admire. Never underestimate the power of a compliment Or the power of your words.   Today, be loved and love those around you because this is what makes Christ go around!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.