Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Salty Conversation



For our first official guest post, I am honored to introduce a dear friend of mine. Along with our love for writing, we also have sons born only a month apart who have the same name. Small world, huh? Please join me in welcoming YA author, Stephanie Morrill.

Stephanie Morrill is a twenty-something living in Overland Park, Kansas with her husband and two kids. Her only talents are reading, writing, and drinking coffee, so career options were somewhat limited. Fortunately, she discovered a passion for young adult novels a few years ago and has been writing them ever since. Stephanie is the author of The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt series and is currently working on other young adult projects. To check out her blog and read samples of her books, check out www.StephanieMorrillBooks.com and www.GoTeenWriters.com.


I’m a huge fan of salt.

I’m even kinda picky about my salt. I use Diamond Crystal’s Kosher salt and even drive to a specialty spice store here in Kansas City to purchase it. I use it for everything. Baking, cooking. You know, your basic salt needs. I’m fascinated by how many recipes call for salt. Ever made chocolate chip cookies and left out the salt? They don’t taste quite as good. They lack dimension. Same with blueberry muffins. I made that mistake a few weeks ago, and the muffins just tasted flat to me.

This has left me sensitive to every mention of salt in the Bible, and during my reading time on Monday, I came across this beautiful passage:

“Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” Colossians 4:5-6

As I mulled this over, my eyes kept catching on Paul’s use of “seasoned with salt.”
My mother is a fabulous cook, but I can remember two meals that were utter failures. The time she fixed shark (no comment) and then the time she made what we refer to as “the salty soup.” I don’t know what exactly happened there, but I remember taking a bite and the salt overwhelmed my mouth. It was the only bite I took, and then we all ate peanut butter and jelly for dinner.

But to season is to heighten and perfect the flavor. And it’s different for each taste bud, which I suppose is where Paul’s “so you may know how to answer everyone” thing comes into play. Because everyone is at a different place in life, has a different family history, different religious background. That must be taken into account. As Paul says, “we must be wise in the way you act toward outsiders.”

I love this verse. As a woman who’s jammed her foot into her mouth aplenty, I aspire to become known for graceful, well-seasoned conversation.



Wow! Something to think about. Thank you, Steph! Now, we want to hear your thoughts. Steph is giving away one of her books, so leave a comment below and we'll draw a random name on Saturday.

19 comments:

  1. That's a good reminder! Thank you for what you wrote. It is so easy to forget about taking care with my words and actions. I was curious if you had any thoughts about how "so you will be able to answer everyone" (the last part of the verse) ties into that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you,Stephanie, for sharing your insight with us and for supporting on Encourage.Empower.Extend.! I SO needed to hear that truth today! We appreciate you being an example of a woman who lives with standards and truths that have enabled you to be successful with the things God has called you to! You are bringing hope and encouragement to the rest of us! Keep doing what you do! Blessings and success to you always!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimchi, I appreciate you guys having me!

    "Pink," my thoughts are this: My grandmother doesn't like much seasoning in her food. When I'm preparing food for her, I'm careful about how much salt I put in. She's my guest, I want her to enjoy her food, you know?

    I think this principle can carry over into conversations, particularly with non-Christians (since Paul says in the opening of these verses to be wise with how we behave toward "outsiders.")We should be authentic, of course, but also mindful of our audience and their "tastes." Keeping our audience in mind I think is one way we can grow to know how to answer everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think too often, our conversations lack salt. I'm guilty of it. I think what helps and enables us, though, is the Word. Reading it daily, meditating on it, praying through it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Jess. I agree. Just like you can overdo salt, you can "underdo" it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie,
    your books are amazing! I read the first Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt after finding it in a school library cart, and I literally developed a hunger for it. Out With The In Crowd was read in pretty much 4 hours. With Skylar, I feel that I can connect everything with my own life, and when I read your books, I feel like I'm finding myself.You have an unbelievable amount of talent in your writing, and your thoughts of salt and God were truly inspiring and a great reminder to us. Please continue to share your talent to the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have a teen daughter that would so love me to win this book thanks

    ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apple, Hope it works out for her!:) Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My ex husband wanted me to make gravy for him all the time. I got tired of it so I dumped a ton of salt in it. Never had to make it again.

    lkish77123 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great verse, please include me in this giveaway.
    sonflower277 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, Love it-Too funny!Karen and Eunice- thanks for dropping by!The Giveaway is on Saturday ladies, so check in with us and we hope you have a great Friday!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eunice, I was so touched by your comments! Thank you so much for sharing that with me.

    And, Linda, I love eating gravy but I sure stink at making it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to reading your book, sounds like a great read.

    true_sheila at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting interview..definitely food for thought!
    lgm52@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Made me think how the world are thinking about me:salt of the world!

    niastrong21(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the salt comments. It's amazing sometimes how we can use a lot of sugar, especially when baking, but you only use a little salt. I'd love to win a copy of your book! (Carman sent me.)
    tressa dot sherman at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't use much salt. I even used to brush it off my fries at fast food places. For a long time my sweetie thought my cooking was very bland, but now we're trying to cut back on the salt and using the low sodium stuff (I still think he uses twice as much though).

    Carman sent me.

    meredithfl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't been able to read any of Stephanie's books yet, but I'd love to start! :-) Please include me in the giveaway. Carman sent me!

    ~ Katy
    legacy1992(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What she said was well put . I myself am not good with words or finding the right words when I speak .. go figure lol but I have try to remind myself to slow down and think before I speak .... there for before I answer you lol dont worrie if there is a long pause .. Im still workin on it !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Please be considerate and respectful. Any distasteful comments will be deleted.